The Blog Farm

Monday, February 15, 2010

A sucker for seeds plus plant updates

So this past weekend I'm innocently shopping for a few items and realize that I need to go pick up some mesquite wood chips for my husband. So I start my trek on over to the outdoor section (where the chips and charcoal are) and guess what I run into? You guessed it....the all addicting seed rack....I try to walk by it and tell myself no.....but the magnetic force sucks me in once again. I have really purchased enough seed this year with the exception of my seed potatoes but like an addict I rationalize my purchase anyway. I figure with the new garden addition this year I sure would hate to run out of seed. We can't have that now can we? And really whose fault is this??? If my husband didn't need those wood chips I wouldn't have come anywhere near the garden section....lol...just kidding dear.... The seeds I purchased are Habanero pepper, Fennel Florence, Cumin, Tarragon, Dills Atlantic Giant Pumpkins, Early Sweet Sugar Pie Pumpkins and Cucumber Lemon. Now, I'm really, really done buying seeds.

A quick update on the tomato plants I started in December. This is one of the Sweet 100 varieties. I had to stake it today as it is getting rather top heavy. I lost some of my Roma plants to some type of bug...I'm not sure if the seed was bad or it may have been a fungal thing. I tossed all of them just in case it spread to the other plants. Sad.... but a necessity when you risk losing others to the same thing. I have slowly started increasing the time the tomato plants are exposed to darkness in hopes that the plants will start to flower soon. My attitude on this is if it works great, if not it was just an experiment.



The cuke plants are doing great but the cucumber fruits are pretty small. They may need more light than they are getting there in the window but regardless they are cute :)


9 comments:

  1. I understand about the seed racks! They suck me in everytime....I think experimenting is beneficial, because so much can be learned from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have to agree with you there EG. I like to experiment with all kinds of different varieties...problem is I need to learn to stay in my budget. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just got back from a trip to "the all addicting seed rack" too funny...what is it about gardeners...i just planted dahlia bulbs..my hands are stained with blood meal too..and i have a motherlode of sweet pea and morning glory seeds soaking for planting tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Kary but heck we could have worse addictions I suppose :) Btw I love sweet peas...but I haven't bought any yet...oh dear

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, you might have the earliest cucumbers in Northern Idaho.:) As for seeds, I understand the addiction. They always have 40% off sales at Fred Meyer and we inevitably load up on a few extra packs of seed that we really don't need...how can we resist.

    By the way, I was looking at your wonderful greenhouse that is very similar to ours minus the great amenities you all have added. I might use your second shelf idea as we need more room for our flats of seedlings. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr H... they have 40% off seed sales at Fred Meyer??? I didn't need that information lol...

    Thanks for stopping by the blog...I think yours is the very first Cda Idaho blog that I have discovered so far. You have lots of great information that I'm really looking forward to reading up on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon: thanks for the info...I went to the website and they do look pretty sturdy. I may have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sunny..i just got back from the grocery..and when i walked in...BOOM...a fresh new seed rack...bought shelling peas this time :-)

    ReplyDelete