The Blog Farm

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Potatoes and ponderings

My dad and I spent most of yesterday planting potato seed in the family garden. We utilized the potato planting tools that were passed down from both of my grandpas. They still work like a charm.....the only problem was that the newly tilled soil still has a lot of sod pieces in it. This made it a little tough to get to the 5 inch depth we were shooting for. I think that all in all we did a pretty good job though : )
Preparing for the farmer's market has unfortunately put me a bit behind my planting schedule so I happily accepted when dad offered to help with the potatoes.

As we spent the day working together I reflected on our past as father and daughter. Like any relationship, there were good times and difficult times....As a little girl, I remember dad throwing me up on his shoulders when my small feet were too tired to take another step....I remember him setting up the boy scout tent in our backyard so my brothers and I could sleep outside during the summer... I also remember the fishing trips to Hayden Lake, the long family bike rides at Farragut State Park, and the vacations to Penticton BC. Those moments I will never forget. I would however, like to forget my "trying" teenage years full of rebellion and chaos....but I thank both my parents for their patience and love and for always leading through example. My mom, of course, is no longer here on earth... but she's here in spirit and still guiding us all. I am grateful to both of them and all of life's lessons they have taught me.....And for the record....I was looking.... : )


This poem in "A 4th Course of Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mary Rita Schilke Korzan says it all for me:

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking


When you thought I wasn't looking you hung my first painting on the refrigerator


And I wanted to paint another.


When you thought I wasn't looking you fed a stray cat and I thought it was good to be kind to animals


When you thought I wasn't looking you baked a birthday cake just for me


And I knew that little things were special things


When you thought I wasn't looking you said a prayer


And I believed there was a God that I could always talk to.


When you thought I wasn't looking you kissed me good-night


And I felt loved.


When you thought I wasn't looking I saw tears come from your eyes


And I learned that sometimes things hurt but that it's alright to cry.


When you thought I wasn't looking you smiled


And it made me want to look that pretty too.


When you thought I wasn't looking you cared


And I wanted to be everything I could be.


When you thought I wasn't looking I looked...


And wanted to say thanks for all those things you did


When you thought I wasn't looking.

20 comments:

  1. Very touching. I mean that, even though of what I'm about to say.

    A TOOL???? There's a special tool!!! Holy Cow, I need to plant potatoes and get me that tool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turling: ha! thanks! This is a special old time tool....I will try to find last year's blog post on it and send it to you...I really don't know if these potato planters are still in existence...I suppose you could make one though : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks AG....your blog postings remind me a lot of my mom...they make me smile ((AG)) : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cool how gardening can bring back memories. Both good and bad lol. The same thing happens with me...usually it's when I smell certain smells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very nice post Sunny.:)

    We used to camp at Farragut State Park when I was a child all the time too...good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyna, luckily the memories are more good than bad : ) and I know what you mean about certain smells.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mr H...thanks : ) We still go there occasion during the summer...It's certainly more crowded now than it was then though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to camp at Heyburn SP. That's pretty close to Farragut ;-) Most of our Idaho camping was done on the Lochsa and Selway rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AG, I have driven through Heyburn but never camped there...It is beautiful country. The Trail of the Coeur d' Alenes( a 72 mile paved bike trail) runs through the park now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mother, I'm glad you forced me on facebook to come check out this blog lol, I absolutely love it :) and the poem too. It made me think of all the good memories growing up at Grandma and Grandpa's house, and also with you and the rest of the family. Love you! Ty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha Tylah!...come on now... did I really "force" you? Ok I suppose I "encouraged" you a lot... lol : )

    I love you so much and I'm grateful that all of you kids had wonderful grandparents surrounding you as you grew up...we have so many great memories...Family first! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. We were so lucky to have the grandparents we had (and the parents for that matter). Couldn't have asked for anything better in that regard. I remember walking through the corn stalks in late summer with Grandpa and when Grandma used to let us pick carrots from the garden to feed the horse Toby over the fence. :)

    I love you and I'm so happy that you've found such passion in gardening, there's no doubt Grandma is still around us often, I notice as well...<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Britt...thanks darlin...and we are lucky to have such thoughtful and caring kids...I forgot about old Toby : ) He was a good horse. xxxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sunny!!

    Amazing...
    Reading all the wonderful comments from the kids and Bent make me miss you all the more! You all are still "right here" in my heart!! Love you so very much!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww thanks Christine...I miss you too! You are often in my thoughts : ) Love ya bunches,

    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  16. sigh I needed that today. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete