The Blog Farm

Friday, January 22, 2010

Cucumber Quandary : Stickman saves the day!

My indoor cukes are growing like crazy...so much that I found myself in a pickle so to speak...(I know but I couldn't resist). I wasn't sure how I was going to support the growing vine. Initially, I thought I would makeshift some sort of trellis to allow it to climb or move it to an upstairs location where I have more room. (I just realized that I have this thing where I just start growing things without considering how much space I have.) Well, as luck would have it, I was taking a lunch break when I noticed my beautiful handcrafted walking stick leaning against the wall by the front door. This walking stick was a gift from a good friend of my husbands.
A little background on the crafter of these fine walking sticks : He is known as Stickman because he hand carves these beautiful pieces of art from various types of tree branches and even decorates some of them with various gems. You see, Stickman lives near a gorgeous wooded area in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho called Tubbs Hill. The area is a hiker's haven and everyone that walks by Stickman's house can get a free walking stick. Some of the area schools have even taken their kids on field trips to his garage. And yes...every child gets to leave with a handcrafted walking stick personalized by Stickman himself.
So back to my cucumber quandary....I wondered if perhaps the stick would fit perfectly inside the windowsill (in a horizontal manner) so as to allow my cukes to climb and have support. I figured my family has seen me do crazier things so I went for it....and lo and behold it fit perfectly!.... And the family thought it looked cool. As you can see in the pictures below, the cukes are happily wrapping their little tendrils around the stick.....What will I do when they outgrow this stick? Well, I have an idea....it may involve visiting the Stickman for a custom size stick or two.... :)

Thanks Stickman for saving the day!



7 comments:

  1. When do you plan on transplanting out the cukes?...or is this a strictly indoor plant? I'm amazed by the fact that some bloggers grow warm season crops like tomatoes on their window sill. Hopefully, I'll get a cuke some day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas this cuke called Cucino is supposed to be one of the best for growing in the greenhouse. Initially, I had it under a grow light but the seed packet said no direct light and I moved it to the windowsill. It seems healthy and is starting to bloom so I guess we will see what happens. This is my first serious attempt at growing strictly indoors. How about you? What plants have you tried indoors with success?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One year I took a cutting from a mature tomato plant that was growing outdoors. I set it in a large planter container, and draped it over the back of my couch. It piddled along during the winter, then when the sun hit it it took off big time. The second year wasn't so good, so I retired the plant which had grown to about fifteen feet long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When your indoor plant blooms, don't forget you don't have bees in your house. Take a q-tip and hand pollinize them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'm not sure what I will do with the tomatoes if they grow to 15ft...well you give me inspiration anyway..I wasn't so sure they would do very well growing indoors. I did start the pollination process so hopefully it goes well with the cukes. (Btw I am in the process of talking my family into getting honeybee hives in the future....we will see how that goes. For outdoors of course lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story, and a fitting thing for that stick. I am around all the time and you are welcome anytime to come look at my stock and pick out something that might work better or fit your needs. I will have to try one of your cucumbers some day, the pooh fairie and I like them a lot. The Stickman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Stickman...the stick does look very nice in the window...Bent and I will definitely save some cukes for both of you...if they actually produce. If not, this summer we will have more than plenty to share as usual.

    ReplyDelete