The Blog Farm

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

But you can never have too many seeds!!!

I have to admit that I have this tendency to start ordering more seed when I haven't even taken a proper inventory of leftovers from last year. And, I'm not just talking about ordering a few packets... Just ask my family...they were beginning to wonder if I had a thing going with the UPS driver ...kidding ...lol... Oh well my philosophy is you can never have too many seeds! This time, upon receiving my order, I made myself sit down and take note of what I have already. There are some seeds I don't plan on using this year and it's not that they didn't do well...I just like to keep trying new things so if anyone out there would like any of the following seeds or wants to trade seeds please send me a note and I will be glad to mail them to you.


I have Heart of Gold Cantaloupe, Sugar Baby Watermelon, Crimson Sweet Watermelon, Golden Sunshine and Emperor Runner Pole Beans (very pretty flowers on them), Serrano Tampiqueno, Detroit Dark Red Beets, and a very interesting spinach called Spinach Malabar Red Stern. The spinach is actually a vining spinach and it is very heat tolerant. I also have some Baby Bonus Corn seeds left. These are the baby corns you see in traditional Chinese cuisine. They turned out very sweet. I am growing lots more of this corn this year but I don't mind sharing some of the leftover seeds. We actually blanched and froze a lot of it and it still retained the great flavor. See below pic of the so called "baby" corn along with some of our gardening partners (my brother Rick and lovely wife Melanie.) Also see the actual corn husked pic below....they are cute little things. I will probably find more seed to share as I continue my inventory process so I will likely post more soon....just remember..... You can never have too many seeds!



8 comments:

  1. I fully understand about the seeds. Those seed racks are just so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes EG...I'm afraid they are way too inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same seed addiction. :) When my husband just rolled his eyes at me today as he delivered the umpteenth padded envelope this season from our mailbox, I reminded him that it's a relatively inexpensive addiction as these things go. I mean, I could have an addiction to jewelry or fancy restaurant meals or something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am similarly afflicted, but certainly not apologetic. I'm down with this sickness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you have displayed those seeds, but the upper part of table is somehow... empty.

    Very pretty baby corn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meridith...I'm with you...diamonds vs seeds?? Our men have it pretty good lol...

    Lisa...one sickness I don't mind having either!

    Vrtlarica...well the table doesn't show all my flower seed collection and those are only last years seeds...I have much more coming (shhhh):)

    Take care all

    ReplyDelete
  7. "You can never have too many seeds". I couldn't agree more. As much as I liked the things I grew last year, I'm never satisfied with just growing from the seeds I saved because I love trying new plants. Because of shipping charges, I try to limit my purchases to two companies. However, they were very large orders. Now the main temptation will be the seed racks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris..I know what you mean about ordering from the seed catalogs...it can get pricey but I also like to try new seeds every year so I try to keep things within budget...albeit I'm usually not successful ...lol...The seed racks are definitely my downfall also but dang it's fun isn't it?

    ReplyDelete